Club Report 16th June 2019

Other commitments which included off island competitions and a calendar photoshoot, meant that only six archers turned up to shoot on Sunday.

Conditions were warm and sunny with no wind to speak of, and even a brief rain shower did not halt the shoot. The round of the day was a WA 720, that is 72 arrows shot at a single distance-70m for Recurve and 50m for Compound, shot a part of the Club’s scratch league.

Peter Mumford and Colin Moore faced off in the Gents Compound division. Colin made the best start edging a 1 point lead after the first dozen, but it was the only time he was ahead as Pete put his relaxed style to devastating effecting to take victory by 24 points. Colin had to be content with a season’s best score and second place.

Joy Gough had a slow start but was still on track for her, self-imposed, target of 300 by the halfway stage. After the break Joy suddenly caught fire and motored her way to new personal best score for the round.

On the recurve side of things, it was nice to see Dave Berry back in action after a long break due to a shoulder injury. Having completed only once Outdoors this season, Dave had managed to get a couple of hours practice in on Thursday evening but was a little rusty coming into Sunday’s shoot. Dave was clearly suffering from fatigue by the end of the shoot and struggled to get his last six arrows away. Dave toughed it out however and was rewarded with a season’s best score.
Jane Berry and Barbara Harris faced off once again in the Ladies Recurve. Jane started well but a lack of practice time due to family commitments and TT fortnight began to take their toll. Like husband Dave, Jane began to struggle towards the end and recorded a miss in her last six arrows but enjoyed the sunshine nevertheless. Barbara Harris continued her run of form. A moment of idiocy when she shot 7 arrows instead 6 and had to discount her highest scoring arrow (an X10!) did not prevent her from taking the win, adding 10 points to her pb in the process.

At lunch the weather suddenly took a turn for the worse and the afternoons session was abandoned.

Elsewhere Dave and Rhys Moore travelled to Evesham to take part in a Double 720 Head 2 Head competition. The weather did not favour them, strong gusting winds plus a downpour made shooting difficult on the Saturday with quite a few misses being had. Dave qualified 20th place, Ethan Moore, who had driven up to join his family, qualified 18th and Rhys qualified in 11th. Both Dave and Ethan went out in the first round to finish in 17th place. Rhys won his first round of H2H but went out in the next to finish 13th.
On the Sunday conditions were slightly better Ethan qualified in 17th place but went out again in the first round of H2H’s. Dave Moore qualified in 19th and went on to win his first round match by a single point before going out in the next round to finish 9th. Rhys did much better to get to the quarter finals and finished in 7th.

Results Greeba WA 720- Gents Compound 1.P.Mumford 72/646/22/4, 2.C.Moore 72/622/17/7. Ladies Compound- J.Gough 72/628/20/10pb. Gents Recurve- D.Berry 71/404/0/0. Ladies Recurve- 1.B.Harris 72/546/7/3pb.